When we are already inside the immigration office to try our luck if we can extend the visa of my father-in-law without having to do with finger printing, the response I got from the officer was… It is NOT needed when extending a family visit visa. And before I can say something he then asked me if we are applying for extension and without any hesitation I immediately said yes. Who knows he might change his mind for I know they are almost near closing for the morning shift.
When he asked about the passport, it was a lightning quick that I hand it over to him. I was surprised with the turn of events while at the same time, glad of the kindness of the immigration officer. What surprised me more is when he asked me of how many more months we intend to extend my father-in-law’s visit with us? I know for the fact that a friend of mind was only given 2 more months when he applied for his brother and for his in-laws also, he even have to ask his wife to do the transactions before they were approved with the maximum allowable extension.
Anyway, I replied and never hesitated telling him that we want to extend it with the maximum allowable 5 months. He then went back to his computer with no objection, do some tinkering in his keyboard and before I can blink my eyes… the printer goes off printing a little piece of paper. It took a few seconds and when it came out from the machine, he peel off the back portion of the sticker and placed it above the visa in the passport, on the upper page. We then sneak out fast and away from the immigration office before he could change his mind and who knows he might take it back. I believe it just took less than 10 minutes from the time we entered the door of the immigration office and was already outside of the premises.
So here’s how we did the process on how to extend the family visit visa in Qatar of my father-in-law.
- Bring the passport of the concerned person to the medical commission at window # 64.
- The personnel will fill out a small paper (probably ¼ sized), write your mobile number so they have the means of contacting you for the results.
- Proceed to the next room to pay (100 QR) for the medical certification (beware that there will be a long queue). Many would suggest that you go there early but in our case we were there at 10AM and we are out just several minutes before 12 noon.
- Go to the blood extraction section (the process from there on is so smooth with about 4-5 people in line ahead of us).
- Last stop is the X-Ray section (once again it only took about 5 minutes and we are on our way out of the building).
After that you will wait for at least 3 days for the result of the medical tests. You can also check your medical result online at the medical commission e-services. There are 5 options on how to retrieve the result but I think the easiest is by entering your medical commission number and the test date (this can be found on the receipt given to you after you pay at the counter). If the result is FIT then you can immediately go to the nearest immigration office and file for the extension. You don’t need any forms to do this, just the passport.